P90X Banner

Monday, June 27, 2011

Kenpo Too Easy? or Should Kenpo Be in P90X?

One of the most common questions I see about the P90X Kenpo X workout is, “Do I really need to do the Kenpo workouts?” A similar comment is, “Kenpo X is too easy.” People seem to want to replace the workout with PlyoX or Cardio X, and want to know if there is a problem with that. I am biased, but I do think that Kenpo X is a critical part of the P90X program.

First I should say make the disclaimer that I typically replace the Kenpo X workout with Kenpo Cardio X+ from the P90X+ program. I do think I get a better workout with the +. Frankly, it is also shorter, and easier to fit into my schedule. I also think that Kenpo X is probably the least strenuous of all of the P90X workouts, with the clear exception of Cardio X, but that is a very relative term. It is still harder than most other exercise programs on the market. If you have any questions on P90X+, please ask.

Unique Benefits of Kenpo

First you should consider that Kenpo X offers benefits that the other workouts don’t. Kenpo Cardio X+, for example, is described as providing Endurance, Balance, and Agility. There is no doubt that Plyo X provides endurance and agility. Cardio X seems to help with endurance, but is not as good for agility. Yoga X provides balance. The Kenpo workouts provide another source for all of these benefits in a single workout.

As important though is that the punches, blocks, and kicks require people to rapidly extend their limbs, and cause the fast twitch muscles to fire. You don’t get that type of body movement or muscle use in any of the other workouts, so you actually develop quickness as well.

Also consider the placement of the Kenpo workouts at the end of the week. Kenpo X is frankly a great recovery workout. By frequently extending your limbs, it is essentially a form of ballistic stretching, which is a great feeling after Legs & Back.

More important though, there is a reason that Tony wanted Kenpo X in the P90X program. He could have easily just put Cardio X as Day 6, if he wanted to. I hope I captured the essence of Tony’s logic above, and he knows more about fitness than most of the people doing the program. So, I would tend to trust his judgment here.

Why Mess with Success?

Many people believe that Kenpo X can be replaced with a more strenuous workout to burn more calories. I guess that’s true. But again, you wouldn’t get the unique benefits of Kenpo X. There is more to fitness than burning the most calories, or you might as well rename P90X to Plyo90X.

However, the tremendous success people get with the program as is, more than proves people aren’t being hurt by the calories burned during Kenpo X.

Some people don’t like Kenpo X or Kenpo Cardio X+ and want to replace it with another kickboxing program. If that helps get you through the program, then you can probably do it. However, the Kenpo programs are already available to you, so why spend more money when you don’t have to?

Do What Works For You

While I hope I addressed the common issues, if at the end of the day you really hate the Kenpo workouts, and it affects your ability to stick with the program, do what’s best for you. However, they are a proven component to P90X.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ira Winkler
    I see your post in fackbook p90x,
    I think you have great knowlege of p90x
    would you wirte some articles about p90x for me. It would 500 words each.
    Cause I am making a website about p90x and want to provide really
    useful information to my reader
    of course I want to these infomation too
    If you would, please let me know the price.
    Best regards
    Terman

    ReplyDelete